Monday, December 19, 2011

Poetry


Christmas In the Caribbean
My Island

Every December painting of houses, 
New furniture and definitely new curtains, 
To show off with the neighbours.
Why would people go through such torture? 
Every ending of the year to impress neighbours and the rest
The smell of vanish and enamel paint in the air
Windows cleaning, House sweeping 
The pile on the garbage is higher than ever before
The furniture from January to November is not good anymore
So into the store; to hire for more.

The garbage men quarrel and snare with grunts from here to Timbuktu there
Every pick-up time is furniture, old and new 
They say,"Didn’t you get this last year"?

Lights and tress as bright as can be
Designs upon designs outdoing each other 
Makes no sense, I have to wonder.
Christmastime in the Caribbean

Spending and more spending 
Just because it’s all brand new
And for trucks to stop at their doors 
January morning, they all singing money blues
No money to buy or pay for their necessities of life 
They all spend it off for one day, just for themselves 
All for elaborate fun
Is this really Christmas at all?

I rather to be in the arms of my beloved ones 
Cuddled near the fire place 
Reading stories of old and new places.
Yes the story of my beloved Saviour 
His birth and the joy He brought
Bring peace to my heart.

Christmas for me is also about the cooking, 
That should be in abundance.
Not for myself but to bring each other together 
Food is magical on a table, 
It makes people talk and laughter
No one is greedy at the table
Bringing joy to others around 
Sharing of some  fun and what I have
Is what I love at Christmastime.

Right now I am full of marshmallow 
And it isn’t Christmas day as yet.

Dust and polish, polish and dust, I love Christmas time 
Ham and turkey on my plate, 
big enough for me to share.


With forks from one end of the table in mine  
Mine in another across the room
Drinking and sipping of wine and eggnogs 
I wonder who will be left behind.
Boxing day come, your eyes are open,
Oh my I have to catch the jouvert band
That is Christmastime in the Caribbean

No comments:

Post a Comment